• Lawn equipment is the largest contributor to non-road emissions.
• The EPA states: one new gas powered lawn mower + 1 hour = 11 cars driving.
• Gas Mowers represent 10% of air pollution and 15+% in metropolitan areas.
• According to the Lung Association, 1 leaf blower + 1 hour equals the smog of 17 cars.
Lawn equipment is also a major factor in gasoline consumption and waste.
• Over 17 million gallons of gas are spilled each year refueling lawn and garden equipment –- more oil than spilled by the Exxon Valdez.
• Americans burn 1.2 billion gallons of gas each year trimming their grassy yards, according to the EPA.
Los Angeles currently ranks number one for the highest Ozone pollution in the United States.
There’s no doubt that working to eliminate these machines will mitigate air pollution and reduce our dependency on oil –– a Finite Resource.
It’s illegal to use gas-powered blowers in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica.
It has been this way since 1998, but no regulation has taken place. Violation of:
1. California State Health and Safety Code Sec. 41700
2. Motor Vehicle Code 27156
3. Los Angeles Municipal Code 112.04 (c)
This ban is in accordance with the amount of noise litter gas-powered leaf blowers permit.